Monday, March 31, 2014

Mom vs. Doctor

Let me start by saying that, overall, I am pleased with our pediatric medical group.  However, the past month, I have questioned why we must go through so many costly hoops to treat a simple condition.  This has happened several times, where it have had to pay for multiple doctor visit and medicines to finally treat my child's ailments, and I wished we could have just knocked it all out in one visit.  I realize that a lot of folks have health insurance where they pay just $20 to visit the doctor.  We don't.  Aside from annual well-visits, we pay approximately $100 every time we walk into a doctor's office.  So, I try trio avoid going unless we have to, and I will hem and haw over whether it is really necessary, sometimes for several days, before going.  Consequently, I like to have the problems solved in one visit.  Unfortunately, it didn't go like that this time.

At the end of February, Jason developed a very red rash on his bottom (right in the crack).  It was a well demarcated ring, and eventually, it bled.  I treated it with every cream and ointment I had for about two weeks before finally calling the doctor.  I described it over the phone, and she said I needed to bring him in so she could look at it.  During the visit, I told her that I suspected it could be strep, but she quickly told me that that was unlikely and that we should treat him for yeast.  I picked up a prescription for antifungal cream on the way home, and $120 later, we were treating for yeast (a condition I was convinced he did not have).

Fast forward 7 days: The rash has not improved.  I call the doctor, leave a message, she calls backand misses me, then has her nurse call again 15 minutes later.  The nurse says she will call in a stronger prescription.  I say, "Well, does she still think it is yeast?  Because I am not convinced."  Yes, yes, it's definitely yeast, she tells me, and it just needs a stronger medication,  do this one for 10 days and he'll be fine.

Fast forward 10 days:  the rash is still there, and Jason has started bleeding again.  The poor kid's bum hurts so badly that he has constipated himself.  I am giving him Miralax and copious quantities of pear juice, but with little success.  Finally, Saturday night, I did more research on perianal strep and learned that, unless a doctor has successfully diagnosed multiple classes, they are unlikely to recognize the condition.  I look at several medical journal pictures that look exactly like what Jason has, and I decide to call the doctor in the morning.

So, Sunday morning, I took Jason in with a plan to demand a strep test.  (Yes, our pediatrician has sick visit hours on there weekends, and that is another reason I really do like them!)  Well, I didn't have to fight too hard.  We saw a different provider this morning, and he listened to my story, agreed with my diagnosis, and now we are FINALLY treating with antibiotics!  $245 later...

I understand there are protocols, and in many cases it is better to start with the most basic treatments, but sometimes I just wish doctors would trust a mom's intuition, and save me the money and time, and my child the pain.

No comments: