Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Official Kindergarten Decision

Saturday marked the last lottery for a chance at Abbie attending a quality public/charter school in our area.  I had my hopes kind of high on this one, as it was one of our top picks, and is located in an area of town that I wouldn't mind moving toward.  But, alas, we didn't win this lottery either.  It's really amazing to think that we applied to 8 schools (1 year-round magnet, 4 charters, and 3 private school back-ups), and we were only accepted to 1 (2 sort of... but we had to turn that one down because they didn't have any financial aid for kids pulled from the waitlist).
Despite my disappointment, and overall feeling of disgust with the lottery process for schooling, I am pleased with our option to send Abbie to Triangle Day School in the fall.  The school seems like it will be a good fit for her with small classes, a focus on community and character development, and a chance to be challenged academically.  I am nervous about starting a new chapter in our lives, but I hope that this school community will soon come to feel like family, and that we will be pleased with the (non)choice that we've made.

No comments: