Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New (and Easy) Recipe!

I tried a new recipe on Monday... it turned out well enough, that I thought I'd share it. This is a great recipe for people on a little budget, looking for an easy dinner for two or small family. I got it from the recipe book my aunt Pat gave us for Christmas. Give it a try!

Cheese, Chile, and Lime Chicken

4lb whole roasting/fryer chicken (remove giblets!)
4oz cream cheese (I used light)
garlic and herb seasoning (salt free)
1 lime
1 mild red chile (or sweet red bell pepper with a dash of spicy crushed reds)

Combine cream cheese with garlic and herb seasoning to taste (I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons).
Grate the zest of lime and add to cream cheese.
Finely chop the chile (no seeds!) and add to cream cheese.

Make a small slit in the skin of the chicken, then gently slide your fingers under the skin to create a pocket all around the chicken. Spoon the stuffing under the skin, then use your hands outside the skin to smooth it out into an even layer around the chicken. Squeeze the juice of the lime over the chicken.
Bake chicken at 400F for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the juices run clear from thickest part of the thigh. You may wish to cover chicken with foil near end of baking if the skin starts to turn too brown.
When done, let it sit for a few minutes, then carve and serve on a warm platter. Serve with a tossed salad or veggie of your choice! The chicken comes out so nice and moist with just a hint of lime. :)

No comments: