Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cashew Chicken

SCORE!  A new recipe that the kids gobbled up!  I remember loving Cashew Chicken when I was younger, so when I had cashews leftover from a spinach salad last week, I went on the hunt for an easy Cashew Chicken recipe.  I found this one and made it last night.  Now, normally, eating chicken takes a little extra convincing for my kids.  Jason will only try a bite or two, but Abbie is getting better.  Well, last night, I didn't say a word about eating chicken, and Jason tried several pieces (and ate everything else, too) and Abbie cleaned her plate then asked for more!  I served it with short grain brown rice (made during Jason's nap, since it takes 50 minutes to cook).  This recipe is a keeper and might reappear in our house very soon!

CASHEW CHICKEN

Ingredients
¾ cup roasted, unsalted cashews
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins, cut into 1-1 ½ inch pieces
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
8 scallions (1 bunch), white and green parts separated, each cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon Asian sesame oil

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (Start cooking rice, if making.)
2. Place cashews on a baking sheet in a single layer. Toast in oven until fragrant, about 5 minutes. They will crisp up as they cool.
3. Place chicken pieces in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly.
4. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil over high heat until very hot. Add half the chicken to the skillet and stir-fry (stir as you cook) until lightly browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
5. Add the remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to the skillet; then add remaining chicken, garlic and white parts of the scallions. Stir-fry until the chicken is lightly browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes. Return the first batch of chicken to the pan. Turn heat down to medium and add the rice vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
6. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and water; cook, tossing, until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the scallion greens, cashews and sesame oil. Serve immediately.

 I used 1 large chicken breast and two boneless, skinless thighs for extra flavor.  I also used lightly salted cashew halves, since that's what I had on hand.  I doubt I'd spend the extra for the fancy cashews in the produce section since I can use the other ones for my new favorite salad:


SPINACH SALAD

Ingredients
9 oz fresh baby spinach
2 medium tart apples, diced
1/4 cup golden raisins or craisins
1/2 cup cashews

Dressing
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp garlic salt
Whisk together and toss with salad just before serving.

The original recipe also calls for celery salt and optional sugar in the dressing, but I really don't think they're necessary.  It's delicious without them!  I'm also pretty liberal with the salad ingredients when I feel like it.  If I'm making a personal salad I just toss in as much as I'm feeling in the mood for that day.  I've also tried both Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples.  It's always delicious!

No comments: