Does it make me OCD if I go back and fix spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in old posts? I started to do this today, because I read my last post and was appalled at some of the typos. I stopped after a few corrections, thinking certainly folks realize I'm not a total idiot and was clearly typing fast. But, it still bothers me and some little gremlin inside me wants to set aside half an hour to go through and fix all of my errors that have already been published. eesh!
Last Friday = probably one of the most enjoyable Friday nights I've had in a long time! Mom got us tickets to see Mamma Mia! at the Durham Performing Arts Center for Christmas (and Megan's birthday). So, Tony, Megan and I went out for a delicious dinner at Mellow Mushroom followed by this fabulous show. The actors did a great job, and the pit was fantastic, but perhaps the most entertaining was the two late-30s/early-40s women sitting two rows in front of us singing and dancing to the entire show. As the night went on, and they drank more wine, they got more and more entertaining, which gave us a few excellent laughs and a true giggle fit between Megan and me (something I haven't done in a while). We were also very grateful that Dana and her daughters came over to watch Abbie while we were out. They didn't have the easiest job in the world, as Abbie has been having a few rough nights this past week, but they were so good with her. We are lucky to have such awesome friends.
And then came the SNOW. It actually came earlier than anticipated, starting before we even got seated for dinner Friday night, and it kept on snowing, switching to freezing rain Saturday AM, then back to snow before it finally stopped. In all, we got about 7 inches of accumulation. Our neighborhood road is basically a solid sheet of ice, but Tony did a fabulous job shoveling the driveway, sidewalk, and stairs so we can get out (which i haven't done yet because I'm not keen on driving on ice with Abbie in the car).
The snow days brought us plenty of time to relax and, unfortunately, eat. We played Dr. Mario on Wii, I read my book (still working on The Lost Symbol), Tony worked on the taxes, we had plenty of play time with Abbie, and I cooked a few meals. I made my first attempt at homemade pie dough, using the Joy of Cooking basic recipe. It wasn't as good as my mom's though. Boo. But, it encased a pretty decent chicken pot pie, which was much better as leftovers on Sunday.
We also had some delicious oatmeal pancakes for Saturday breakfast. Since going to the gym was not an option, this seemed like a logical thing to do! ;-) They're really simple, and I think they taste better than traditional pancakes.
Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup Bisquik
1/2 quick oats
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 Tbsp oil
And now, we are back to the grind with another relatively busy week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I've found that whenever I make something from one of my mom's recipes or a recipe she's suggested from a cook book, it NEVER turns out as good. Mom's just have that special cooking magic touch! One day we will, too. :)
cool snow! :) i love abbie all bundled. 'lost symbol' was a good read! and i loved mamma mia! :)
keep sending book and recipe recs my way :)
I can personally vouch for the yumminess of these oatmeal pancakes! Fantastic!
Laura, I love Abbie in the snow!
Love you all!
~lb
Post a Comment