Sunday, March 15, 2009

Laura B + Good Food = Great Weekend!

Laura B made another visit to our house this weekend. We've been really lucky, because she's come down 3 times in the past six weeks! It's always nice to have visitors. The best part about Laura's visits (besides the great company) is that she helps Tony make awesome meals.

Since Mom left some good eats in the freezer, they doctored them up and produced some awesome meals. Friday night we had spaghetti with Mom's homemade sauce (sausage and green peppers!) along with breadsticks and a veggie-heavy salad. Saturday night we had steaks with Mom's zuchinni pie and broccoli. Laura also helped Tony create some delicious breakfasts: Denver omelets and bacon on Saturday, and waffles with fresh fruit today.

So, since the weekend was filled with delicious food, I thought I'd post a couple of recipes for everyone else to enjoy. As previously mentioned, the zuchinni pie recipe is from my mom. It goes great with lots of different stuff. And, the waffles are a recipe I learned from my dad.

French Zucchini Pie
1/4 c salad oil
2 c zucchini shredded, packed
1 med onion (I use 1/4 to 1/2 onion, depending on the size, and prefer a sweet onion)
1 c cheddar cheese shredded, (I really pack it in, maybe use more)
3 eggs beaten
sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 cup bisquick
salt & pepper

Mix all together and pour into buttered 9" pie plate/quiche dish. Let sit 5 minutes before baking at 350 degrees about 40-45 minutes.

Waffles
1 cup Bisquick
1 1/4 cups Buttermilk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp veg oil

Separate the eggs, placing the whites into the mixing bowl. Whip the egg whites until they peak. Set aside. Mix all other ingredients until smooth. Fold in the egg whites and let sit for 5 minutes before baking.
I use this recipe on a regular waffle-maker (not Belgian). Not sure how they would turn out in the Belgian waffle-maker.

No comments: