Tuesday, August 19, 2008

in the THICK of it

Well, we are now in the thick of it. I suppose everyone who lives on a school-calendar schedule knows what I mean. It's back to work for teachers, back to school for kids, and move-in time for college. So far, I've had two "workdays" and spent approximately 12 hours in meetings... seriously! They don't seem to believe in letting teachers get their rooms and lesson plans ready during workdays. No, it's meetings, meetings, and many more *mostly* pointless meetings. But, I do have some good news... we hired a new Chorus teacher about a week ago, Jihyun, from New York. I'm excited to have her on board!
Before going back to school, we had a pretty crazy weekend. A bit of a stressful one, as well. Tony and I did an all-over house cleaning on Saturday, which was a bit of a stress reliever for me. Then, on Sunday we did the Jimmy V bike ride with my mom and our other friends of Team Ameriprise. It was quite an eventful day. To start, we noticed a full moon on our way out at 6am... then found out our directions were wrong. We spent a good 30 minutes going back and forth in the wrong area of town, asking 3 folks for directions (all wrong!) before finally flagging down a policeman and getting ourselves to the ride at exactly 7:03am (ride was scheduled to start at 7). But, our awesome friends waited for us and we got off to a decent start playing catch up to the rest of the group.
We were supposed to ride 75 miles, but at about mile 8, one of our friends/Team Ameriprise member had a horrible bike crash. We came upon him right after it happened and spent about 30 minutes at the scene trying to help as we waited for the ambulance and got all of the equipment packed up and off the road. It was terribly scary. Vance suffered a broken shoulder, collarbone, and rib, along with a gash in the head, severe concussion, hematoma and some bleeding in the brain. Thankfully, the doctors are optimistic that he will recover 100%, though it will take some time.
So, we ended up only completing the 50-mile route that day, due to being pretty far behind the pack, and being emotionally shaken up. But we did all gather afterwards and have lunch, and Vance's wife Amy came back and gave us an update on his condition.
Sunday evening we had a delicious meal at the Shackelford's house with Martha and Kent (Jr). They always make delicious food.. steak, seasoned potatoes, salad, etc. MMMM! It was great to catch up with them, since we only seem to get together a couple of times each year with our busy schedules!
The other big event of this week was Duke move-in day. Megan has finally arrived in Durham and is an official Dukie! Tony and I got to go over to campus this evening and see her dorm room (much nicer than UR) and enjoy the family picnic on the lawn with Megan, Millie, my grandfather, and Megan's roommate and neighbor. Tony got a little excited about being back on a college campus, which was to be expected. :) But, it was really nice to see where she's going to be (only about 5 minutes from my school) and to see Millie before she flies back to Phoenix.
Megan in her new dormroom
Megan and her roommate, Samantha

We're so proud of you, Megan!! :)

And, for those who enjoy updates of our kitties (Ron!)...
Look how BIG Chrissy is getting!

Could they be more precious?!?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugh! I feel your pain on the meetings and more meetings. I went back to work this week as well. I was told that I only had one meeting for the whole week! Lucky me! NOT, I show up to my ONE meeting and find that really have a meeting everyday this week. On top of that my students and their parents will be meeting me on Thursday. Yes, I said just me because both of my teammates have had family emergencies this week and are not in! I'm off to yet another CRAZY Start to a School Year! So sorry to hear about your friends bike accident. I hope he gets better soon:) Take care.

TAV said...

yikes! i hope he was wearing a helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and those are 2 awfully cute kitties...