This weekend was yet another enjoyable one, though with little time for total vegging. Below are some pictures from our first game night, which we hope to continue hosting. We had a few friends over, muched on food, and played fun games like Mad Gab, Hoopla, and Catch Phrase. The girls challenged the boys in Mad Gab and Catch Phrase, reining supreme throughout! Yeah Girls! And, I still maintain that the only reason we did not successfully complete the round of Hoopla was because we had to combine with the boys to win. I learned that our friends are very intelligent people, quick to figure out ridiculous phrases and figure out answers given rather useless clues. We laughed a lot. Here are some photos from the evening...
Tony, trying to guess the Mad Gab phrase as Sean laughs
I promised folks that I would share my Rum Cake recipe from Saturday evening, so here it is. This recipe comes from my mom, who got it from Pam Paige a long time ago. Mom has been making it for Dad's Christmas parties since I can remember, and even made for one of Tony's birthdays. I'm lucky she shared it with me so we can indulge at home whenever we want!
**Please note that the brand name products are important. I've tried it with other brands, and the results were disappointing. Enjoy!
Rum Cake
Cake Ingredients:
1 Duncan Hines Yellow Butter Cake Mix (aka Butter Recipe Golden)
1 small pkg Jell-O Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
1 stick Butter, softened
4 Eggs
1/3 cup White Rum (I use Bacardi Light)
1/3 cup Water
Blend above ingredients, then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Grease bundt pan with butter, dust with flour.
You may choose to put 1/2 cup chopped pecans in the bottom of the pan, though I don't.
Gently place batter evenly in pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
When done, carefully loosen sides of cake (inner and outer edges), then spoon the following "Goodie Topping" over the cake and along all edges. Let set for 30 minutes before turning out.
Goodie Topping Ingredients:
1/4 cup White Rum
3/4 stick Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
Boil for 2 minutes. Stir constantly-- it could stick.
This morning sadly Jason was still sick, so he and Tony could not challenge themselves to a 12-mile run. Instead, I convinced Tony to work with me on painting our bedroom (Room #2 in our house to be painted since we moved in!). We had to get a bit creative once we ran out of painter's tape, but it worked. There's a little touch-up to be done, but I'll try to do that sometime before our parents come to inspect our work! :)
Check out the pictures...
BEFORE
AFTER
I really like how the walls pull out a shade of blue from the beautiful quilt Pattie Bethune made for us. It's starting to feel like a home!!
So, now that I'm finishing up this blog, the Super Bowl is OVER... and the Giants won! Yay! :)
2 comments:
You guys are such good painters!! Want to come help me finish up my house! :)
Just kidding - but you have motivated me. I think I am going to pick back up the paint brust this weekend and tackle the trim!!
I miss and love you both! Again, the house looks great and hopefully soon I can join you for a game night, becasue, well I happen to be AWESOME at catch phrase... really.
XOXOXOXOXO Lots of love and PS Tony - call me back!! :)
Cam again! We have the same bed!
Post a Comment