Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

The past week(s) has been a little rough and I was having a hard time thinking of a lot that I felt thankful.  Today was different.  I had probably the best Thanksgiving Day I've had in a long time (maybe ever?)

We spent the holiday at home this year.  Considering the amount of traveling we've already done this fall, it was definitely the right decision to stay home.  We had a wonderful day mixing family and friends.  It was relaxing, fun, tasty... all of the above.

Last night, I helped Tony make a pumpkin pie at his request.  This was my first-ever attempt at making a dessert pie.  I have the pie dough recipe down well enough, but assembling it into an attractive dessert pie was a little beyond me.  Since I don't actually like dessert pies that much, I found it to be a challenging task, but the end result was acceptable.  Tony tried some tonight and said it was delicious, so I promised to make it for him any time we stay home for a fall/winter holiday.

This morning, I baked some pumpkin bread for us to snack on throughout the day and granola to help fill the house with the smell of fall spices.  Plus, we had cinnamon spiced apple cider on the stove.  With the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on the TV, delicious smells in the air, and the kids bouncing between coloring with markers and dancing to the music from the parade, it felt like a perfect holiday.

Before noon, my parents arrived.  We whipped a little more food (apple crisp and asparagus), then headed over to our neighbors' house for a very nice Thanksgiving meal.  The Marinos were so sweet to host us and my parents, and we had a great time.  Of course, Abbie and Jason love their son, Cooper, like a little brother, so it was fun to watch the kids play together in between eating.

Tonight, we Skyped with my cousin, Megan, then my folks went home and we rejoiced in the fact that we were already home.  Such a great feeling!  Everyone except for me was in bed and asleep by 8pm.  I'm up getting my much-needed "alone time", but will soon be retiring.

I'm also very excited to be home for this holiday, because tomorrow we will get to head out in the morning to find a perfect Christmas tree and begin decorating for our Christmas AT HOME!

No comments: