- Costumes seem to have gotten out of hand. Many parents spend $30+ on an outfit that their kid has purpose to wear on only one night, for just a few hours. If they're lucky, the kid will wear the outfit to school one day and maybe even a party. Still, I can't justify the cost. For the last two years, my daughter has worn something out of her resident dress-up collection. My son wore a Halloween T-Shirt he got as a gift last year and the rain jacket and boots he already owns to make a fireman costume. I kind of admire those parents who spend hours collecting stuff at The Scrap Exchange, designing, creating, and painting their child's costume. But, that's just not my thing.
- I don't really enjoy dressing up myself. Again, can't justify the cost of buying a costume. And, I just don't want to all that badly. It's fine if other adults want to dress up, but when invited to a costume party, I'm most likely going to pull something together at the last minute, and it's going to be cheesy.
- When did kids get so darn greedy?? This year, Trick-Or-Treat felt like an exercise in "gimme gimme" with most kids over the age of 4. Actually, there was a 3 year old who ran up to our house and pushed by me in the driveway saying, "I gotta go get the candy. I want my candy." Then there was the elementary-age kid who reached OVER my hand, as I was giving him candy, trying to grab his own handful.
- And finally, the teenagers... We had just 1 set this year. They knocked at 8:05pm (I turned our lights off after that). They had no costumes and were carrying bookbags to collect candy. I opened the door and they just stared at me. I gave them the stink eye. One gestured like, "are you going to give us the candy now?". I made them each say "Trick Or Treat!" before I gave them anything. I really wanted to get rid of the candy, otherwise I might not have given them anything.
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Halloween Bah-Humbug
I'm not sure when it happened, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't like Halloween. Maybe I'll change my mind when my kids are older, but for now, this is how I feel:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My thoughts, exactly. I hate Halloween and I don't even have to think about any kids' costumes!!
Post a Comment