Friday, February 1, 2013

Stay and Play Snack Cafe

Abbie has been up at her grandparents' house for a few days, so it has been just me and Jason at home during the days.  Jason has been extra fussy, I think due to teething and coughing or sleep issues, but I'm trying to get him out to play as much as we can.  We've taken a few "walks" around the neighborhood, which generally consists of Jason collecting as many acorns and rocks his little hands can hold (highest count: 8 acorns and 2 rocks!), and me trying to encourage him to move along so our walk around the tiny loop of our neighborhood might take less than 45 minutes!  

Yesterday, we checked out the new Stay and Play Snack Cafe in downtown Durham.  I actually participated in the backing of this company when it was just a start-up project last year, so was anxious to see the final product.  (I forgot to pick up my supporter's gift when we went! oops!)  After spending almost 2 hours there, I came to the conclusion that there are some pros and cons to the place.

Pros:
  • It's another indoor place to take the kids when the weather is yucky and we need to get out.
  • It seemed popular enough that I don't think we'd ever be the only people there, as sometimes happens when we go to the park.  I might even meet some new folks, who knows?!
  • Jason loved the train table and the kitchen area.
  • Admission isn't horribly expensive, and they offer discounts for siblings, playgroups, and pre-paid 10-visit passes.
Cons:
  • The "lobby" space is VERY small.  By the time I was ready to leave, all my stuff (put in designated cubbies in the lobby) was blocked by 4 strollers and there was barely room to move through there.
  • The main floors are hardwood and everyone must wear socks.  There is an area rug and part of the place is covered with that foam puzzle-piece type floor covering for kids.  But, Jason slipped a few times on the hardwood before he figured out he had to walk VERY carefully to not fall.
  • You can't bring in outside food.  Now I understand that they are a "cafe" and make money off of selling coffee and snacks, but I usually like to pack Jason's lunch when I go out so I can feed him before we head him in case he falls asleep on the way (or if I want to stay out a little later).  Plus, the snacks they have are $1 for a little muffin cup sized serving.  It adds up fast!  I did notice, however, that there's a little square with picnic tables about a block down, so I guess I could walk the kids down there for lunch, but I'm not sure how I feel about them being so close to all of the busy traffic going by.
  • There was a Healthy Moms fitness class going on right in the middle of the play area.  They were playing music and doing aerobics while their kids played, which made things a little crazier in there. Plus, it's hard to imagine what the rest of the play area would look like if there wasn't a class.
  • There was only 1 couch (love-seat, really).  The rest of the seat was wooden straight-back chairs and tables.  I snagged a spot on the couch after about 30 minutes and stayed there the rest of the time Jason played because i didn't want to lose it!  I hope they decide to put in another couch or two!
So, I will go check it out again, and maybe we'll take the playgroup over there sometime soon, too.   After seeing it on a different day/time and knowing a little better when to expect, I'll have a better idea of whether or not this will be a frequent play spot for us!



No comments: