Saturday, April 22, 2017

Earth Day

Today, we celebrated Earth Day by spending time in nature.  After Jason's gymnastics and a few quick errands, we chowed down some PBJs & apples, then headed to Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve in Cary.  I actually didn't know that this place even existed until I saw a picture of some local friends there on Friday, but when Abbie mentioned that they had been studying ways to save the Earth, I thought this would be a great place to go.  And it was.

Hemlock Bluffs is a beautiful natural area on the easter side of Cary.  It is a rare collection of over 200 Hemlocks, mixed with other trees and vegetation, on bluffs naturally created by weather and erosion.  Swift Creek runs through it, and the town maintains nice trails that loop through the woods, down by the creek, and to nicely decked overlooks.  There is also a nature center and programs that they run, but we spent our time outside learning about the trees and wildlife.  We even learned about how fires can promote growth.  We also saw ants, spiders, a slug, a salamander, and a snake!





After our hike, and in keeping with our theme, we picked up some plants for the yard: Cherry tomatoes, Sweet Basil, and Flat Parsley.  And to top it off, a stop at Kilwin's for some ice cream on the way home.  Guess that part doesn't have much to do with Earth Day, but we did all get cones, so at least we didn't waste a paper bowl for our treat! :)


Since being home, I've planted our plants, and the kids have mostly been outside.  (I'm trying to post all the good stuff here.  Reality is, my 5 year old has been his typical grumpy, never pleased, moody self.  And we've had quite a time of it.  But I'm trying to focus on the good from our day, whether he rates it as good or not!)

Happy Earth Day!

No comments: