Friday, March 17, 2017

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

I haven't had a lot to write about lately, or at least not things I want to write about.  Can't believe it has been 2 months since the last time i posted!  But between the above statement and the app not working on my phone, I guess the time got away from me.

The last couple of weeks were actually really rough for me, but the kids' excitement for St. Patrick's Day led me to get in the spirit and entertain them with a few special surprises for the day.  Sadly, I had to leave for work at 6:30am this morning, so I missed the live reaction, but Tony sent me a nice video of their reactions.

Video from 7:30am St. Patrick's Day: https://youtu.be/Rc2928MI4UQ

Last night, I put out bowls of Lucky Charms cereal (a VERY special treat in our house) for their breakfast.  To make it extra fun, I put drops of green dye in the bottom of their bowls before pouring the cereal, so when milk was added this morning, it turned green.  If I were to do it over again, I'd do the dye and pour the cereal in the morning before they woke up, but I was so worried about being late this morning that I set it out the night before.  The dye dried a little, but since Tony was in on the surprise, he knew to give the cereal a good stir to work up the dye, and the kids still thought it was pretty cool.

I left the bowls out with a note from Larry the Leprechaun nearby.  Abbie had also set up a Leprechaun trap, inspired by Jason's kindergarten assignment.  Jason's trap was at school, so I'll be anxious to hear if anything crazy happened when he arrived!

This afternoon, I prepared a rainbow cake for our evening dessert. We're totally skipping the traditional Irish dinner fare (corned beef and cabbage... I'll pass!), but I thought it would be fun to finish the night with a festive treat.  The making process was long but fun, and I hope the kids like the surprise when I cut their slice!

I basically took two cake rounds, sliced them into half-moons, and created a 4 layer cake with rainbow frosting between the layers.  I added the rainbow on top because I had extra frosting.  Next time, I might leave it just white or add sprinkle, so the inside will be a bigger surprise!  Here's the cake in progress...


This is what the frosting looks like between each layer

I flipped the stack onto it's side to do the outer frosting 

The finished product.  Not fancy, but fun anyway!


Tony insisted I get in a picture, so here I am!


And here is how it turned out when we served:

1 comment:

TAV said...

You are such a great mom! That cake (which is WAY beyond me) is amazing! I fear my child will miss out on the craftsy, "magic" of even minor holidays, because I'm just so... blah. Not creative. Not motivated.