Although some of my pregnancy restrictions have been lifted due to a fabulous check-up yesterday, one of my least favorite restrictions still stands. I'm not supposed to pick Abbie up. Do I cheat a little? Yes. Like, when she freaked out because dogs were barking and circling her... and pretty much every time I go to the grocery store, I move her from the car into the cart and back again. But, I do my best to make her do everything else herself. She climbs the stairs on her own. She hoists herself into her high chair, and with my assistance, she climbs in and out of the car without my having to lift her. We hug on the floor and snuggle on the couch that she can climb on by herself.
So, what's the big issue? Discipline. It can be ridiculously difficult to discipline Abbie, or stop her from doing certain activities. This is especially an issue for me in public. At home, she is generally in a safe space, and I can walk away from her while she tantrums on her own then comes to me when she's done. But in public, when Abbie refuses to follow directions, I am left with little recourse but to try to talk her into it or attempt to drag her away from the offending area. She responds well to counting "1-2-3" when she's calm, but as soon as she gets worked up, all bets are off. Being restricted from scooping her up and leaving, I feel somewhat powerless in the eyes of onlookers as she throws her tantrums and refuses to come when I call. It's so frustrating sometimes that I just want to tell everyone that I'm not allowed to pick her up, and please don't judge me for how I must handle these outbursts. Maybe I could get a bumper sticker for my ever-growing bum that explains such. Not that it won't still make me feel inadequate at disciplining my child in public. ARG!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Understandable frustration, however you have to remember that you're doing what's right (and necessary) for YOU (the baby and Abbie). Do your best to ignore looks/stares from other people - as difficult as that may be sometimes.
Post a Comment