Friday, July 28, 2017

Summer Snapshots


I've done a poor job of keeping up with our summer shenanigans.  What can I say?  We've kept ourselves busy!  Plus I've had rotten luck finding an app for my phone that will sync with this blog. But I thought it was time to post some photos from various events to fill in the gaps.

We've spent a few good days at the museum of Life and Science in Durham.  We checked out exhibits and visited the Red Wolf puppies, but most of all, we hung out in the Hideaway Woods where the kids can explore the treehouses, play in the creek, and I can read a good book in an adirondack chair as I chase the shade.


 We went to a Durham Bulls baseball game with the Swim Team.  Jason enjoyed it and would like to go again, but Abbie and I agreed (just like last year) that baseball is boring, and we don't really ever need to go again! :)

Our amazing swim team... Parkwood Pirhanas!  There are even more kids than pictured here, if you can believe it.

Abbie's buddy, Lily Jones.  Can't believe we met by chance at a mutual friend's birthday party 7 years ago, and these two are still friends.  They now do swim team and YGuides together, so they get to see each other throughout the year.  Also love that we moms shop for the same swim suits every year. :)

Jason was pretty excited about all of the ribbons he earned this year.  We're looking forward to another exciting season next summer.

I got Abbie a kids' cookbook for her birthday.  This is the first meal she decided to make for us (with a little help): French Toast skewers with berries and bananas.  And syrup, of course!

Grandpa got the kids snorkels and they had a blast exploring the lake, especially the rocks and fish.

Jason LOVES feeding the ducks and Grandma & Grandpa's house!

We got to have a visit from our cousin, Kara.  The kids love her.  And we're trying to con her into moving out East.  Hope it works!

Tony got creative with the paddle boat.  You know, all that pedaling tires you out!

The kids stayed up for fireworks this year.  Well, almost... Jason fell asleep just as they started.  I shook him awake for a few more, but it became hopeless and he snoozed through the rest.

Photos from our swim team end of year celebration.  Here are the kids with their 4 coaches, and below with 2 of their favorite teenagers on the team.  These people are seriously the sweetest!  Also, Abbie got a Most Improved Swimmer trophy, plus a coach's "Nutty Buddy" award, and Jason placed 18th in the city league championships for 6&under boys Freestyle.


On one of our visits to Charlotte, we had dinner with Gary, Susan, and GG.  We LOVE getting to see GG.  As you can see from their smiles, the kids absolutely adore her.

We also had fun tubing, which was mostly holding on for dear life as Dad slung us around.  My favorite line was Jason's, "At least we didn't die that time!"


Abbie's YGuides group finally had their first campout (backyard style).  They chose a hot summer night, but stayed cool in the pool.  The girls were up until 11pm having a marvelous time.

Jason went to Basketball Camp this week and loved it.  He was really sad to find out today was the last day and has already asked to go back again.

Tomorrow we drive to Maryland to start our next adventure.  We'll be embarking on a 7-day cruise with Tony's parents headed to the Bahamas.  Looking forward to sharing pictures when we return!

1 comment:

TAV said...

Wow! Great times! I can't wait for the day that I can read a book in the shade while my child plays, and I'd have to *try* to keep him awake ;)