I am thankful for...
- My awesome husband. This year, he chaperoned a week-long trip with my teenage students, then put up with me for 15 weeks on bedrest. He also works hard every day to support our family. He always thinks of others before himself.
- Our beautiful daughter. Her smiles light up a room and fill my heart with joy.
- Our great friends. We are lucky to have amazing folks in our lives who encourage us through exercise, support us with advice on life (and children), and who treat us like family.
- Jobs. In the wake of so many layoffs and businesses going under, I am grateful that Tony still has his job, and that I was afforded the opportunity to take on a part-time job and keep my hands in the choral world while I'm home with Abigail.
- The folks at the Fitness World. They keep me motivated to work harder and get back in shape. Certain people in particular have really helped me, not only in getting my pre-pregnancy body back, but in guiding me to make smart changes in my daily habits to feel healthier and stronger every day.
- My health. January 28, 2009 was a scary day, but I think about how much worse some mothers have it, and looking back, I am grateful that my pregnancy was so easy in comparison.
- Tony's health. Again, so many people have it worse. We are fortunate that Tony is not in that category. I am so proud of him for completing the B2B half-ironman this year and already setting his sights on a marathon for next year.
- Abbie's health. Not counting the 9 days in the hospital at birth, she has been 99% healthy. Only 1 ear infection, and really no other problems.
- Women's Voices Chorus. This has been, by far, my best experience as a chorister. Charlotte Children's Choir is a close second, only because I don't think I quite knew how much to value that experience until I grew up. WVC offers a very welcoming environment full of lovely singers (and an entertaining director) who want to have fun while making great music. I truly value the impact that this group has had on me as a musician.
- My "Other Mother" support. I am fortunate to know so many moms who have young children. It is great to be able to solicit advice from people who have already been through this and to be able to share stories with those experiencing the same stuff as me.
- Gifts from family and friends, without which we would probably be horribly broke this year. I am reminded of their generosity every time we use their gifts.
- Cheap laundry detergent. Good lord we have a lot of laundry. Thank goodness companies besides Dreft have come out with sensitive detergents at an afforable price!
- Online technology. Things such as email, Blogger, and Facebook have made it easy for me to stay connected and reconnect with my friends, especially since so many do not live nearby.
- My crockpot. It has recently reignited my desire to cook and experiment with new recipes. It's a great thing to have when you have a kid that continually demands your attention when you're supposed to be cooking dinner!
- My "Other Mother" support. I am fortunate to know so many moms who have young children. It is great to be able to solicit advice from people who have already been through this and to be able to share stories with those experiencing the same stuff as me.
- Good intuition. As we are preparing to go out of town tomorrow, I thought perhaps I should go ahead and take my car in for an oil change. Thank goodness I did, because they noticed my tires were threadbare (I knew they were getting thin, but hadn't closely inspected them in a while) and are currently replacing them so that we can have a safe trip tomorrow.
- My parents' teachings. This is something I am thankful for above all. Every year, I realize how fortunate I am to have the parents that I have. They raised me to be responsible, discerning, and independent. They provided me with pretty much every opportunity I could possibly have needed to help me build a life and career that I am truly happy with. I could not have asked for more.
No comments:
Post a Comment