I hear that folks have been checking the blog for updates already, so my apologies for being behind the 8-ball! I sent my laptop home on Tuesday because I was switching to a new room at the hospital and didn't want to risk theft. I'm checking in from home this morning.
Abigail has been in the Special Care Nursery since Sunday night and is doing very well. They took her IV out two days ago and her blood sugar has remained stable. However, she's been under light therapy for jaundice this week. It's kind of weird seeing her in this glowing blue box. This morning, her bilirubin test showed great progress, so they may be taking her out today. Once they do, she'll be observed for 24 hours to make sure that everything is stable before she is discharged. Hopefully, we'll have a baby at home for the weekend!
Abbie has been feeding really well recently (breastmilk from the bottle). She is still too young and weak to be a successful breastfeeder, but we're working on it slowly. In the meantime, she has increased her intake significantly over the last day and the nurses are very pleased.
We are enjoying all of the cute little movements she makes and funny faces. She loves to stretch out her arms and even makes smiley faces. Now that she is growing more alert, we are having even more fun with her each time we get to hold her.
Since Tuesday, I have been staying in the "sleep room" at the hospital, which is basically just a place for mothers who have been discharged to stay while their baby is still in the nursery. I shared the room with another mother for the last two days. Unfortunately, there is a two-night limit on a mother's stay, unless no one else needs the room. So when I return to the hospital today, I will be finding out whether or not I'll be able to continue to stay there or will have to camp out in the waiting room. Abigail feeds every 3 hours, so going home is really not an option for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
laura , good news is that thanks to the awesome rn's Abbie will already be on a good schedule by the time you guys get home.... this was the bright side for me when shayfer had to spend her first weeks in the NICU. hopefully you and tony are resting now while she is being well watched.
~deanna
Sorry I missed your call! I've been working late- until i.e. 8-ish, too late to call :( I wanna hear all details!! Will try to call you in the a.m. (my time) maybe on my way into work?? Hope Abbie and you guys are doing well.
Love!!!
Post a Comment